Sunday 1 February 2009

Folksy Featured Sellers for February

James from Folksy contacted me on Friday and told me Pouch’s name had been picked out of the bin to choose the Featured Sellers for February. This put me into an immediate tailspin because I am a) very indecisive and b) very indecisive.
I started to put together a shortlist which as the day went on was getting longer, rather than shorter. I guess it’s a good sign that I had too many shops to choose from rather than too few!
Eventually I whittled the list down, and these are my chosen four, I hope you like them as much as I do.

With the prospect of more cold weather on the way, I love to browse the knitted goodies on Folksy. A fellow West Country crafter, Amanda Sainsbury, creates beautiful machine knitted skinny scarves, cowls and mittens. Amanda’s work has a delicate look and feel, so it's ideal for the coming months as we move from Winter into Spring, or as fashionistas would say ‘they make perfect transitional wardrobe pieces’.

amanda


I am big fan of ‘eco chic’, I love to see people creating items from recycled materials. Milomade’s shop contains innovative and funky bracelets made from safety pins, badges made from repurposed envelopes and jewellery created using recycled buttons. Top of my wish list is an 'Autumnal Dream' bracelet, I didn't even know they were safety pins until I looked closer, always a good sign of clever recycling.

milomade


I have always loved silver jewellery, it suits my skin tone better than gold. There are so many talented silversmith’s working in the UK, but if I had to pick my favourite on Folksy, it would be Quercus.
Working in the beautiful city of Bath, Quercus makes just the sort of jewellery I love. It’s bold and modern, but it also has an organic and tactile quality which I adore. I would love to buy everything in her shop, but I don’t think my bank account would like it, so I will be dropping as many hints as I can around valentine’s day…

quercus_2

Another big love of mine is artwork and photography. In fact this was the hardest choice to make as there are so many talented photographers, print makers and illustrators selling their work on Folksy.
After much browsing, I decided to put forward Gifling as I have admired her work for some time. There is a dreamy, melancholic quality to her prints and the figures she depicts really intrigue me. I also like the soft blue and turquoise tones which are a recurring theme in her work.

gifling

So there they are, Amanada Sainsbury, Milomade, Quercus and Gifling. I've really enjoyed choosing the featured sellers for February, it's a minor miracle I managed to finally make a decision :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails